Thursday, September 2, 2010

Don't Judge Me...

So last night I went out on a second date with none other than the guy who inspired me to write this blog. Yes folks, I went out again with Jerry.

Don’t ask me why. Maybe it was the “kissy face” that I liked or the fact that he’s one of the few people in the world, much less Los Angeles, who is also Jeff Buckley fan (and NOT crazy), or maybe it was the fact that there was an all-too-close near miss of him reading my blog the day I posted it on Facebook and failed to realize he had already “friend-requested” me. Near miss, indeed.

Whatever the reason, he asked me out again. And I needed a stiff drink and, yes, some kissy face.

I gotta tell ya, the old saying about first impressions is right. Perhaps I was soured by my second-chance-at-a-first-date with “The Aussie” (a story which will reveal itself via blog over the three-day weekend), but this time around, the second date was hit.

Jerry picked me up at my apartment and, like a gentleman, made reservations at a great local wine bar/bistro. As a foodie, I was in heaven. But remember Jerry’s little obsession (or lack thereof) with food? Yes, it’s still there. Here was his order:

“Cheese pizza, please. Plain. Crust thin, cooked crisp. Tomato sauce and a little cheese. I want it bubbly and browned, but not burnt.”

But yet, he said it with such a genuine smile that the waitress immediately acquiesced, and even got the entire kitchen staff on board! In fact, we saw the cook chopping and crushing fresh tomatoes especially for his pizza because the idea of an over-spiced sauce was just too much for him to handle.

Hey, I am a food snob… so I can relate. Let’s talk pesto. Pesto consists of the following ingredients:

Basil
Pine nuts
Parmesan Cheese
Garlic
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper

Separately, I absolutely ADORE these ingredients. But puree them in a food processor and serve them as a sauce? Yuck. I don’t know why… but, YUCK. Tastes like rubber tires. (I’ve never actually chewed on a rubber tire but I imagine this is what it would taste like.)

So anyway, Jerry, in his adorable and persuasive manner, managed to get his pizza EXACTLY the way he wanted it.

Impressive, indeed.

I had a caprese salad… pesto on the side.

After two glasses of wine, a lot of conversation and a pretty darned good meal, we decided to take off to a local dive bar near my apartment.

That’s when the fun began.

No comments:

Post a Comment